[hobbit] Server-side extension scripts: shell vs. C programming

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Thu Jun 28 20:34:37 CEST 2007

Before embarking on this, you might want to write a wrapper that runs
your real script with a "time" command and then log the results.  The
reason for rewriting in C is to make it more efficient, but if what you
are doing is not very bad, there is no reason for the heartache unless
you need to learn C, or are into self-abuse.

And you can probably modify the Hobbit RRD module (realizing that you
will have to maintain it forever) to add your additional test parsing to
what is already provided.

You also might consider converting your shell script into a Perl script
-- Perl is a good intermediate between shell and C, and is pretty fast
for longer running tasks.  The only reason Perl doesn't win for all
tasks is the need to compile the script before running it -- a slight
performance hit for repetitive short tasks.

GLH