[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

shea_greg at emc.com shea_greg at emc.com
Tue Jul 24 22:55:59 CEST 2007

Hi Greg,

I needed to do this originally with BB to track a memory leak with HP
OpenView's
pmd process, when we used to use it.

#!/bin/sh
#
# SCRIPTS IN THE BBHOME/ext DIRECTORY ARE ONLY RUN IF
# THEY ARE DEFINED IN THE ENTRY FOR THE CURRENT HOST
# LISTED IN THE ext/bb-bbexttab FILE.
#

#
# BBPROG SHOULD JUST CONTAIN THE NAME OF THIS FILE
# USEFUL WHEN YOU GET ENVIRONMENT DUMPS TO LOCATE
# THE OFFENDING SCRIPT...
#
BBPROG=bb-pmd.sh; export BBPROG

#
# TEST NAME: THIS WILL BECOME A COLUMN ON THE DISPLAY
# IT SHOULD BE AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE TO SAVE SPACE...
# NOTE YOU CAN ALSO CREATE A HELP FILE FOR YOUR TEST
# WHICH SHOULD BE PUT IN www/help/$TEST.html.  IT WILL
# BE LINKED INTO THE DISPLAY AUTOMATICALLY.
#
TEST="pmd"
#
# BBHOME CAN BE SET MANUALLY WHEN TESTING.
# OTHERWISE IT SHOULD BE SET FROM THE BB ENVIRONMENT
#
#BBHOME=/opt/BB/bb19c ; export BBHOME   # FOR TESTING

if test "$BBHOME" = ""
then
        echo "BBHOME is not set... exiting"
        exit 1
fi

if test ! "$BBTMP"                      # GET DEFINITIONS IF NEEDED
then
         # echo "*** LOADING BBDEF ***"
        . $BBHOME/etc/bbdef.sh          # INCLUDE STANDARD DEFINITIONS
fi

PMDMEM=`/bin/ps -e -o vsz -o comm | grep " pmd" | awk '{printf "%d",
$1/1024}'`
if test "$PMDMEM" = ""
then
    COLOR="clear"
else
    COLOR="green"
fi

#
# AT THIS POINT WE HAVE OUR RESULTS.  NOW WE HAVE TO SEND IT TO
# THE BBDISPLAY TO BE DISPLAYED...
#

# MACHINE NAME MUST EITHER BE A REAL MACHINE NAME, OR
# LOOK LIKE A REAL MACHINE (in the case of arbitrary measurements
# like temperature).  IF THE NAME YOU ARE USING DOESN'T EXIST
# IN THE DNS THEN IT SHOULD BE LISTED IN THE bb-hosts FILE WITH noping,
# PREFERABLY IN IT'S OWN GROUP...

# NOTE THE COMMAS HERE - YOU NEED THEM!

MACHINE=`echo $MACHINE | $SED 's/\./,/g'`      # HAS TO BE IN A,B,C FORM

#
# THE FIRST LINE IS STATUS INFORMATION... STRUCTURE IMPORANT!
# THE REST IS FREE-FORM - WHATEVER YOU'D LIKE TO SEND...
#
LINE="PMD Statistics.
"
SUMMARY="
PMD memory usage is $PMDMEM"

# NOW USE THE BB COMMAND TO SEND THE DATA ACROSS
# SEND IT TO BBDISPLAY
$BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.$TEST $COLOR `date` $LINE $SUMMARY MB"