[hobbit] Highlights of the 4.3.0 version

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Sun Jul 22 03:34:11 CEST 2007

On 7/21/07, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
> In another thread, someone asked about what new features are planned for
> version 4.3.0. I've summarized them below;

Great to see the summary, these features look great.  I'd like to
request more RRDs and reports about the monitoring system and the
servers/services monitored.  For example:

I think the following could be "gauge" metrics:

Number of devices monitored
Number of services monitored
Number of host.service in green state
Number of host.service in yellow state
Number of host.service in red state
Number of host.service in XXX state

I am thinking these could be done by creating counters within hobbit
(since boot):

Number of state changes
Number of state changes per server
Number of state changes per service
Number of notifications sent

I think the above metrics could help create reports over time periods
for review to help get to "management by facts" vs. "management by
feeling."  Most admins that pay attention to their install will
"know", but its different when you can "prove."  Plus, when
improvements are made, it's nice to see it.

I am also thinking we could try and apply some Six Sigma terminology
and methodology to hobbit which may have value.  Six Sigma keys on
statistics and defects.  Six Sigma refers to having production quality
such that you only see 3.4 defects per million.  Granted we are not
"producing" a physical item, but I am thinking that a defect could be
considered a purple/yellow/red state.   With counters I suggested
above, we could to apply various statistical measures (control charts,
pareto charts, etc.) and see what makes sense or has value for
monitoring.

The goal is to improve consistency and reduce variance.

If you like, I could draft up some graphs and reports I'd like to see.
 My above description might be hard to visualize.  I definitely think
hobbit could benefit from internal counters, similarly to how on OS
keeps tracks of context switches and the like.

Scott