[hobbit] Hobbit not recognizing certain tests?

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Tue Jul 17 15:07:31 CEST 2007

Being familiar with both Netcool and Hobbit, I would never consider
replacing Netcool trap management with Hobbit.  Netcool processes traps
in "near real time" and scales quite large.  Hobbit does not provide
real time monitoring (default is 5 minute samples, with 1 minute screen
updates).  The only scenario where Hobbit might successfully replace a
Netcool system is if you only want to know that *something bad* happened
in the last five minutes, and you don't mind drilling down into a Hobbit
screen to find out what *something bad* is.  You will have to be careful
about how you construct your trap test so it will handle alarm clearing
and won't forget problems.

I am not throwing any rocks at Hobbit -- it was not designed to handle
real-time alarm management.  I *think* Henrik would agree...

With all that said, it is pretty easy to forward Hobbit alarms to
Netcool, and I don't think it would be very hard to forward Netcool
alarms to a Hobbit test -- if you are concerned about a dashboard, etc.

GLH