[hobbit] Hobbit not recognizing certain tests?

FARRIOR, Andy Andy.Farrior at victoriacollege.edu
Mon Jul 16 23:30:21 CEST 2007

I haven't modified trap.pl in a very *long* time.  Hmm...  (I'm still
using it.)

Going back over the code, I'm running hobbitdboard so I can get the
validtime field for the test:
  "$BB $BBDISP \"hobbitdboard test=trap
fields=hostname,validtime,color\" "

In case there's a host that doesn't send a trap that often, I wanted to
change the color to green instead of having it go purple and generate an
alert.  So to get the time left for a test, I needed the hobbitdboard
results.  A side-effect is that the column won't appear until the device
sends it's first trap.

For the problem device, is the log from SEC showing a hostname or IP
address for the device sending the trap?

There may be a problem if it's sending a status message to Hobbit with
an IP address instead of a hostname.  I don't think trap.pl does a good
job (or at all) of trying to resolve an IP address to a hostname that's
in bb-hosts.

Hope that helps,
Andy