Hobbit not recognizing certain tests?

Eric Jacobs eric.jacobs at thomastechsolutions.com
Mon Jul 16 18:43:55 CEST 2007

Using Andy Farrior's method, I set up hobbit (version 4.2, allinone patch
installed) to receive SNMP traps from some of our F5 devices. Works fine
except for one of the devices. Checked all the logs and made sure that the
various corollary programs are getting the traps correctly. Finally figured
out that Hobbit (or, more specifically, hobbitboard. The trap.pl uses
hobbitboard to find all the hosts that have the "trap" test defined. I ran
the hobbitboard command myself and saw that it did not include the
particular device in question) was not recognizing the trap test for that
device. I've tried re-writing the bb-hosts file entry and moving things
around (I'm also running Devmon against that device which sort of works,
though the templates probably need some work) and moved the "trap"
designation behind the devmon designation. No luck.

For what it is worth, on the info page for the device in question, "trap"
does not show up in the status summary, though it does show up in the "Other
tags" section. For the devices for which the trap works, "trap" shows up in
both the status summary and the "Other tags" section.

Eric Jacobs