Estimating hardware needs for Hobbit server

Haertig, David F (Dave) haertig at avaya.com
Tue Jul 3 00:50:13 CEST 2007

Hi -

I'm currently running my Hobbit server/Apache on Linux-based Dell
Dimension desktop with the following:

# grep MemTotal /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      2075380 kB
# grep name /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
#

It's not even breathing hard.  It's just sitting there idle for the most
part.  (CPU load 0.02, physical mem used 35%, real mem 12%, nothing ever
swapped)

I found some older Sun hardware in the lab that I'm considering using as
a replacement, but I don't know how it's specs would compare.  I'm not
familiar with Sun/Sparc hardware all that much.  Can anyone comment on
if what I've scrounged up might be adequate?  At most, I'd expect to
eventually monitor several dozen servers, but probably no more than 100.

Ultra 5
Ultra 10 (350 MGz, 512 MB RAM)
E420R (2  - 450 MHz CPUs, 2 GB RAM)

Thanks!