Hobbit client and large networks

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Sun Jan 28 02:41:36 CET 2007

Have used Hobbit with BB clients at a previous gig, but now looking to
set one up with Hobbit clients at a new gig.  This will be an
installation of close to 1000 nodes.  Having started testing using the
clients, have some concerns and questions:

1) I am concerned that the server performs all the proc and disk
tests... I'm concerned that several hundred servers will overwhelm the
Hobbit server.  I see the client can be configured to run the checks
locally, provided the configuration is copied to the clients.  Has
anyone any practical experience with this many clients, and whether
local checks are better in this case?

2) Most of the servers are Web and database servers... meaning that
port, proc, and netstat reports are very large.  I've seen so far that
the Hobbit client data sent to the server is almost 500k or larger,
causing truncation problems and problems with the server-side checks
(proc tests did not work until I used either client-local tests, or
disabled the ports client data).  Can client data be disabled without
affecting the ability to run checks?  Is there a way to streamline the
data so that effective monitoring is possible, without sending 1/2 MB
data for each client every 5 minutes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Alan

--
Alan Sparks, UNIX/Linux Systems Integration and Administration
<asparks at doublesparks.net>