[feature request] trackmax for all parameters

Charles Goyard cgoyard at cvf.fr
Fri Jan 19 14:35:38 CET 2007

Hi,

Henrik Stoerner wrote :
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 10:55:05AM +0100, Charles Goyard wrote:
>
> > Gildas Le Nadan wrote :
> > >
> > > The TRACKMAX feature is really interesting as the max values get
> > > "diluted" in the week/month/year views.
> > >
> > > Alas, it seem to only work for NCV values at the moment (and I wish I
> > > could use it for cpu/memory/network/disk).
> > >
> > > Charles, Henrik, do you think this is feasible?
> >
> > I agree it would be nice.
>
> [...] and it would only have effect on new
> RRD files that are created, not any existing ones.

> However, there has also been some requests to increase the granularity
> of the stored data, e.g. to keep 7 days worth of 5-minute averages as
> opposed to the current 2 days. And likewise for the other RRA's.

> So if we're going to add MAX/MIN tracking to the RRD-files, we might as
> well do it at the same time that we change the granularity. The numbers
> I've been thinking of are to keep
>    * 30 days of 5-minute averages
>    * 90 days of 15-minute averages
>    * 360 days on 1-hour averages
>    * 1080 days of 3-hour averages

> The "la_params[]" is a static table, so this is initialized at
> compile-time with the static values.

Very nice design, great (thanks for the quick course). And d'oh!, too. I
expected run-time setting, not compile-time.  I had in mind a config
file option. It won't be that bad to have the values of RRAS in the
hobbitserver.cfg, read once at start. That would let you provide a few
typical setups (with the current one enabled by default). At the very
least, it can be a setting in the Makefile.

We also have to keep in mind that TRACKMAX (and TRACKMIN) is a
per-statusname option, not a global setting.

I can take some time next week to add these features into hobbit, if we
agree on how to do it. I propose a setting in hobbitserver.cfg for RRAS
like :

# hobbitserver.cfg sample
# standard setup -- fits most needs
rra = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576";
rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:576";
rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:576";
rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:576";

rramax = "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:576";
rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:6:576";
rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:24:576";
rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:288:576";

rramin = "RRA:MIN:0.5:1:576";
rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:6:576";
rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:24:576";
rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:288:576";

# larger data retention
( for today the numbers are provided as an example )
#rra = "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:8640";
#rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:8640";
#rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:8640";
#rra = "$rra RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:8640";
#
#rramax = "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:576";
#rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:6:8640";
#rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:24:8640";
#rramax = "$rramax RRA:MAX:0.5:288:8640";
#
#rramin = "RRA:MIN:0.5:1:576";
#rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:6:8640";
#rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:24:8640";
#rramin = "$rramin RRA:MIN:0.5:288:8640";

I (or anybody) can provide dump/restore tools along with hobbit, too.

Charles Goyard - cgoyard at cvf.fr - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31