[hobbit] hobbit on Solaris 10 non-global Zone

Bill Fischer mndud3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:22:32 CET 2007

Install the client on the non-global zone.

I haven't tried it with resource management on the zones (aka containers),
but with a simple non-global zone, you get duplicate monitoring of cpu and
memory usage.    Disk usage is also a duplicate unless you have given the
non-global zone control of any devices.

... and prtdiag doesn't report anything in the non-global zone, so it's a
good idea to watch the global zone even if you don't have any apps running
there.

Everything else (ports, procs, files, etc) works just fine.

You could try to watch everything from the client in the global zone, but I
suspect there would be issues with that.  In particular, if you want to
watch sshd, for instance.  The client on the global zone would see sshd for
each of the zones just as "sshd".   If one zone wasn't running any sshd's,
but the others had extra sshd's running, hobbit would be none the wiser.

-Bill.