[hobbit] Hobbit versus Unicenter/TNG

Kauffman, Tom KauffmanT at nibco.com
Wed Feb 7 19:16:49 CET 2007

Back when we had an IBM mainframe, CA was desperately trying to find
ways to "give" us Unicenter, until our VP told them that he'd drop them
as an accepted vendor if he saw another proposal in the next six months.

So -- we never did Unicenter.

We did BMC Patrol on AIX -- and never could get viable alerting from the
product.

I have yet to see ANY of the vendor-provided tools that work with a
lightweight client for viewing the current status. Hobbit lets me check
things with any browser, on any OS -- and when you've only got dial-up
access to work with, this is *critical*. I don't have the time to load a
big honkin' java application (tivoli) or an ugly X-windows app (BMC)
over dialup to see what's down.

Big Brother and Hobbit and a handfull of home-brew scripts dropped BMC
out of our shop and saved us over $40,000 per YEAR in licensing.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc