[hobbit] Client install does not work. No reports. And of course no Glibc.

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Feb 2 17:45:06 CET 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 05:59:20PM +0200, Strandell, Ralf wrote:
> I made a cpio-packet of hobbit client and moved it to a client computer.
> I get no reports from the client and this is what I find in the
> hobbitclient.log :
>
> /home/hobbit/client/bin/logfetch: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version
> `GLIBC_2.3.4' not found (required by /home/hobbit/client/bin/logfetch)

The system where you compiled the client has a different libc version
than the one where you installed the client.

> So, the installation did not make a statically linked binary?

Hobbit builds whatever your compiler/linker toolchain produces.
If you're using gcc (eg on a Linux system, which this appears to be),
then you can compile the client statically by changing the top-level
Makefile: Add a CFLAGS setting like this:

# Add local CFLAGS etc. settings here
CFLAGS=-static

Then run "make clean; make; make install" and re-create your cpio file
with the new executables.