[hobbit] strange graph behavior - random machines & graphs

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:53:26 CET 2007

I am now completely convinced that the strange behavior of the graphs is due
to some bad data getting inserted into the .rrd database files.  The bad
data is always the same value: 5.1776682516e+170.  That's what the value
looks like when you do an rrddump on the .rrd database file.

I still have no idea where this value is coming from, but I have at least
determined how to fix these graphs.  I'm working on a script to do this, but
for now, I manually do an rrddump of the file, change all bogus values to
NaN (basically, searching for "e+1", since none of the values I trend
generally get that large, so I know these entries are just averaged values
of correct data and the 5.17... number), and then do an rrdrestore from the
modified xml file.

It would be nice to determine where this problem is coming from, though.