[hobbit] addon: os and critical icon

Scott Walters scott at PacketPushers.com
Sun Aug 19 19:42:49 CEST 2007

On 8/9/07, Flyzone Micky <flyzone at technologist.com> wrote:
> Hi, i have made some edit on the hobbit-sources.
> When working in a enterprise, i found useful to see also two icons next the hostname: os and critical.
> Os could be windows,linux,aix,etc....

I can vouch for the usefulness of an OS icon in the display.

1)  For many sites, there are Windows and Unix admins.  This helps
them know immediately to "call for help" or to try and login
themselves.

2)  Saw an issue that only affected RedHat Linux servers, but I did
not realize for a couple of weeks.  Once the OS icon feature went in,
the scope of the issue to RedHat was obvious.

I am thinking the OS might be known from the client, rather than
having to define it on the server.  But a manual configuration would
be nice, for devices that might be monitored, but without clients.

Scott Walters
-PacketPusher