migration to hobbit: 3 questions

Steve Holmes sjh at allegro.ics.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 30 22:59:22 CEST 2007

Fellow hobbits,

I am almost ready to cut over from BB to Hobbit. I've been running the two
servers on two different hosts for some time. I disconnected them from
each other (i.e. now they don't know about each other) a week or so ago.

I have 3 questions I haven't been able to find answers to on the archives,
etc. Feel free to point me to any info I've overlooked.

Note: using Hobbit 4.2.0/allinone patch, Solaris 10.

1) I found info about client side monitor scripts, but they all assume
that the script should run on all clients (near as I can tell). Is there a
way in clientlaunch.cfg to tell the hobbit client launch that a script
only needs to be run on one client. We update configurations with rdist so
the same file will be on all clients. I could mark it up with m4, but I'd
rather not have to do that. I could also write the script to check to make
sure it was running on the correct host(s), but that seems kind of
wasteful (I'm probably showing my age :-).

2) I have some clients which show white on msgs constantly. Others
are green, one other toggles between green and white every 1.5 to 3.5
minutes. As I said above, we have the same config files on all the
clients, so what could be causing this? Red, yellow and green I could
understand, but white and green I don't.

3) I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the shared memory
configuration for Solaris 10. I know this isn't a hobbit question, but if
there is any info out there on just what I need to do on the hobbit server
to make sure I have enough allocated, I'd like to see it. I'm getting
pretty consistent messages for hobbitd on the server saying "Oversize data/
client msg from ... truncated" which I surmise from some mail I've seen
that it is about the shared memory space.

Thanks,
Steve.