[hobbit] Issues with hobbitd loading

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Apr 9 23:20:08 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 04:59:36PM -0400, Don Munyak wrote:
> Running Hobbit-4.2 in Ezjail JAIL, OS FreeBSD-6.2
> hobbitd does not seem to want to load.
>
> 2007-04-09 19:56:46 Could not get shm of size 262144: Function not implemented
> 2007-04-09 19:56:46 Cannot setup status channel
> 2007-04-09 19:56:46 Task hobbitd terminated, status 1

"Function not implemented" is a fairly serious problem. Essentially,
the operating system does not have IPC support. FreeBSD does have it,
so I suspect this could be caused by your running it in a jail setup.

Indeed, Google turned up this description of restrictions for processes
running inside FreeBSD jails:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/jail-restrictions.html

This very clearly shows that support for IPC using shared memory and
semaphores is not supported for jailed processes. There is a
"jail_sysvipc_allowed" sysctl setting (defaults to 0 - "off") that
might enable IPC support inside the jail; I couldn't quite tell from
this webpage.