[hobbit] Informal survey about commercial support for Hobbit

Kevin khanrahan at charter.net
Sat Sep 23 16:32:15 CEST 2006

I have used, and currently am using the entire CA suite where I work.
While it is capable of  many things, it is STUNNINGLY complicated and
requires an army of people to maintain and a mountain of top level
hardware to run on. In addition,  it requires so many agents to be
installed on the monitored hosts that it can be it's own worst enemy. We
actually discovered on one of our hosts that 70% of cpu and 85% of
memory were being used up by the agents! Also, the price for software
and associated licenses from Microsoft is so high that it is beyond the
financial means of most small to medium sized companies!

By contrast, Hobbit is easy to setup, quite simple to maintain, and can
easily run on a piece of junk without any problem. In addition, the
agents associated with it are virtually invisible with respect to system
resources....and the price is quite attractive as well!!