hobbitd/bbd server move

Matthew Davis matthew at familycampground.org
Fri Sep 22 23:08:59 CEST 2006

My hobbit install is fairly simple.  One main server, and all clients
reporting to that server.  Recently I moved the main hobbit server.
Thought it was going to be an easy move, and it turned out to be alot
easier than I expected.  Just a change to the HOBBITSERVERS in
/etc/defualt/hobbit-client was all I realy needed to do to clients.
But during the process I ran into 2 issues on the serverside.  One was
my fault..

1 - In hobbitserver.cfg I changed BBSERVERHOSTNAME to reflect the new
host, but forgot about the IP address (BBSERVERIP).  The
bbd/bbgen/bbtest/hobbitd tests kept showing up under the old host (the
host was still active and a client).  I was expecting the tests just
to disappear or appear under the new system host since the hostname
was correct.

2 - trimhistory didn't quite work as expected.  I kept getting this error:

# ./trimhistory --cutoff=`date +%s --date="1 Sep 2006"`
2006-09-22 17:05:15 Cannot cd to history directory: No such file or directory

But running it from bbcmd worked.
--
Matthew Davis
http://familycampground.org/matthew/