[hobbit] SMS alerts

Rob Munsch rmunsch at solutionsforprogress.com
Fri Sep 22 21:36:57 CEST 2006

Mike Rowell wrote:
> Jason,
>
> We run a similar setup to Richards, we have a hobbit server that sends
> emails to an sms provider who then forwards them via sms to our phones,
...8<...
> As to how often you get alerted that would be down to how your alerts
> are setup in the hobbit-alerts.cfg file, in our case we wait 5minutes

I'm taking the lowest-rent approach, simply having a line that SMSes the
phone(s) directly, which raises a question i've been meaning to ask:

MAIL <number>@<provider>.net FORMAT=sms COLOR=red DURATION<60 REPEAT=30
RECOVERED

MAIL <number>@<provider>.net FORMAT=sms COLOR=red DURATION>5 REPEAT=30
RECOVERED

In the first, a maximum of 2 pages will be sent, as only the first 60
minutes of redness count and they're 30 minutes apart.  In the second, a
page is still sent every 30 minutes, but not until the status has been
red for 5 minutes.  In both cases the target phone determines the cost;
if you have company phones with a messaging plan, this is easy.  If
you're sending to people's own phones, you might want to have an
agreement to get reimbursement in case of disaster.

My question is, can i combine DURATION directives?  AFAIK, you cannot
combine both minimum and maximum... can you?  In the first example,
there's an absolute limit to how long pages get sent - but it starts the
instant you go red.  In the second, it waits until the problem persists
for 5 minutes - but could send pages until the end of time.  It'd be
great to be able to specify both <X and >Y.