[hobbit] SMS alerts

Richard Leyton richard at leyton.org
Fri Sep 22 16:26:35 CEST 2006

Hi Jason,

Yes, the script is called out of hobbit-alerts.cfg

ie.

> SERVICE=raid
>       SCRIPT /home/hobbit/bin/sms_notify ADMINS FORMAT=sms
> REPEAT=600 DURATION>10m
>       MAIL alarm at mydomain.com REPEAT=60
>       MAIL myboss at mydomain.com DURATION>60 REPEAT=480

This sends a specific alert when a RAID alert occurs. The
DURATION>10m ensures a quick resync on reboot doesn't create SMS's.
They're repeated every 10 hours.

Apparently my customer (for whom I have implemented Hobbit) uses a
company called MIG, who I think are these guys: http://
www.migcan.com/, also Opera telecome, who are these folk I think:
http://www.operatelecom.com

To stress - I can't say which one the Hobbit alerts use right now,
nor can I say with much certainty what reliability/costs/etc. the
services have. It seems pretty good, but then my client does bulk
SMS's. I've had no influence in the choice of these SMS companies. I
really don't know whether or not they'd be suitable for the
(comparatively) low volume you're probably talking about, or what
they'd charge. Somebody else may be able to point you in the
direction of other companies that could be better. You may even find
your mobile operator has a service you can use?

As to charging, well, my client has an account with these companies,
so it doesn't cost me anything to receive an SMS. However, to be
pedantic, we *could* push content that does reverse charge the phone,
but that would be an incentive too far for getting a problem fixed! ;-)

As to repeat SMS's, I'm relying on Hobbit configuration to restrict
the number of SMS's. But it would be trivial to put a 'throttle' in
sms_notify to perhaps act as a 'safeguard' for something going AWOL
if you were worried about it.

r.

Richard Leyton - richard at leyton.org
http://www.leyton.org