client-local.cfg and shared nfs homedirs

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Tue Sep 19 13:27:38 CEST 2006

Lets say I have a setup where I have 12 web servers:
web1
web2
web3...

And they all have a common homedir (SAN).

Hobbit is very good about naming most of its logfiles etc with the
hostname in them, so thusfar I have not had a problem where a file or
setting for one host caused problems on another host.

Now, what I am wondering is, if I use client-local.cfg on the hobbit
server, and define some logfile checks. These checks get propagated to
the clients. I know that I can specify hostnames in client-local.cfg,
but what happens to the data when it is propagated to the clients? If it
ends up in a generic named file on the client, then it will take effect
for ALL of my clients, which would be bad (assuming I want to monitor
different files on each of them).

I guess I should just stop speculating and try it :) But I figured I
would ask to see if anyone else, or Henrik already knows how this works.

-Charles