[hobbit] Hobbit server resolving client name in correctly

David Gilmore david at stenhouseconsulting.com
Thu Sep 14 02:00:42 CEST 2006

Running Hobbit on FC5, installed Hobbit from the RPM packages on
SourceForge, which is a first as I typically have installed "manually".

> Hobbit uses the ARES library for DNS lookups, and this does
> adhere to some settings controlling what the priority is
> between any /etc/hosts file and DNS. Is this host perhaps
> listed in /etc/hosts ?

It was not specifically added to /etc/hosts

> You can also try this: Login as the Hobbit user, then run
>   "bbcmd bbtest-net --debug MY.HOST.NAME"
> where MY.HOST.NAME is the hostname from the bb-hosts file.
> You should see something like this somewhere into the debug output:
>
> 2006-09-13 21:59:22 Opening file /usr/lib/hobbit/server/etc/bb-hosts
> 2006-09-13 21:59:22 Adding hostname 'client3.hswn.dk' to
> resolver queue
> 2006-09-13 21:59:22 Got DNS result for host client3.hswn.dk :
> 127.0.0.1
> 2006-09-13 21:59:22 Processing 1 DNS lookups with ARES
>
> What does your output say?

I'll give this a shot and get back to you.

> > None of the client specific data is registering with Hobbit either.
>
> Probably a different problem. Check if the host appears in
> the "Ghost clients" report on the Hobbit server; if it does,
> then the hostname reported by the client and the hostname you
> have in the bb-hosts file don't match (most often, one uses
> the fully-qualified hostname, and the other uses the plain
> hostname with no domain).

I also noticed some other odd behavior on this box after sending this
message.  The hobbit server itself was only reporting status on CONN BBD
INFO and TRENDS.  I made some modifications to the BBHOSTS file in
preperation of adding in other systems (created four PAGE groups in
BBHOSTS), but the changes never appeared.  I attempted to restarting Hobbit
from the script, but still no changes to main display, then restarted the
Hobbit Service that was listed in the Services applet.  Pages still did not
display, but the remaining info for the HOBBIT server (CPU, DISK, MEMORT,
etc) suddenly appeared.

> Regards,
> Henrik

As always, thank you for your help, and for providing us with this great
tool.