[hobbit] How to shorten the ping time ?

T.J. Yang tj_yang at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 12:30:54 CEST 2006

>From: henrik at hswn.dk (Henrik Stoerner)
>To: hobbit at hswn.dk
>Subject: Re: [hobbit] How to shorten the ping time ?
>Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 07:36:08 +0200
>
>On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 07:34:36PM -0500, T.J. Yang wrote:
> > I am using hobbitping and I am getting 43 seconds for 833 hosts pings.
> >
> > PING test completed (833 hosts)          1157070413.072972
>42.444355
> >
> > Is there a way to improve number if  parallel pings by hobbitping  ?
> > my test hobbit server looks very low on load avgerage.
>
>Network tests rarely put much load on your box, they spend most of their
>time waiting for the remote server to respond.
>
>You can probably increase the max. packets/second from the default (50)
>to e.g. 200 or 500. The risk in doing that is that you might overload
>some of the network components along the way to the server, and ICMP
>packets are among the first to be discarded if a router sees more
>traffic than it can handle. So there's a higher risk of getting false
>alerts the higher you go with the packet rate.

I haven't try max packet/second yet but I increase the the number concurreny
of pings
from default 250 to 1000 and I am seeing 10 seconds improvement(not bad).

bash-3.00$ grep concurrency  hobbitlaunch.cfg
        CMD bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse
--dnslog=$BBSERVERLOGS/dns.log --concurrency=1000
bash-3.00$

PING test completed (833 hosts)          1157106120.152276         32.152155

Thanks

tj