[hobbit] Recovery pages after using DISABLE - bug or feature?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Tue Oct 31 23:39:56 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 14:18 -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> When I disable a red alert, first a "recovery" notice is sent,

Since BLUE is not RED.

> indicating that the host "recovered". Then the disable notice is sent,
> informing that the host was disabled.  The first message is a bit
> confusing since for example it will say the host recovered but the df
> output in the email/page clearly shows the disk is still 99% full.
>

> I would think that recovery messages should not be sent if a
> host/service is DISABLED, but perhaps it is a feature to notify folks
> who do not have the NOTIFY tag on their alert definition?

No, it's configured in hobbitserver.cfg:
ALERTCOLORS="red,yellow,purple"                 # Colors that may
trigger an alert message
OKCOLORS="green,blue,clear"                     # Colors that may
trigger a recovery message

It's been a while since I've played with this, but here is the dilemma:
As long as you are in an alert status, pages go out.  The RECOVERED
message goes out when you enter an OK status.

What I've wanted is a "reset" zone.  RED causes a page, GREEN causes a
RECOVERED.  As long as it is not RED, it won't page, but it won't be
RECOVERED either.  So, for example, if I have a comm room that goes RED
at 80 Degrees, and the temperature fluctuates between 79 and 80, I don't
want to be paged every time it oscillates a little.  Until it gets down
to 74, I don't want to see a RECOVERED.  But if it was 83 (RED) and has
dropped to 78 (YELLOW), then at the next paging cycle it can skip paging
me.

BLUE could work the same way.  It shouldn't page, but it's not
recovered, either.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy