Strange non-green-page behaviour

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 08:24:26 CEST 2006

OK, here's the situation - I have 3 Hobbit servers, one is running
4.1.2p1, the other two are running 4.2.0.  Last night the 4.1.2 server
crashed when the building maintenance folks did some power checks.
Why the UPS wall sockets are connected the main light switch is
anybody's guess...  But I digress.

When the server came back up, all the network services tried to start
before the network adaptor was connected, which meant that NTP
couldn't update the system clock properly.  I reran the NTP startup
script to get the clock set correctly.  Hobbit appears normal, the
checkout scripts are running from cron as normal (old BB stuff, long
story), all reports are being delivered to all 3 servers as normal.

The problem is that the event history is not being updated.  Red and
yellow reports cause machine names to appear in the table with the
appropriate colored dots, but the event history shows

     No events received in the last 240 minutes

The other two servers both show:

     100 events received in the past 158 minutes

and all 3 servers have received the same reports over the last 4 hours or so.

The display seems to be updating fine, and the colored dot portion is
tracking correctly to match the other two servers, there's just no
event history.

I've cycled Hobbit a number of times, with no change.

Any ideas of where I could poke it to make it show history again??  I
know the simple answer would be to upgrade to 4.2.0, but that's not
really an option right now.

Thanks,

Ralph Mitchell