[hobbit] RRD data not being created.

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 19 22:35:15 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 02:46:37PM -0400, Rob Munsch wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is the trouble.  Ladies and gentlemen, i am
> stumped.  Following all the instructions in the docs, manpages, faqs and
> alien communications, as well as the very helpful samples provided by
> list members... no new file ever gets created in ~/data/rrd/<hostname>.
>
> I have status, so i know client info is reaching server.
> I have copied almost verbatim the sample server-side script needed to
> parse this info and spit it back out to RRD.
> And i have eschewed NCV and gone in favor of hobbitd_channel --options
> to make this all work right, or so I thought.

Lets see your hobbitlaunch.cfg setup for the [rrdstatus] and [rrddata]
tasks. Also, could you run this command for 10 minutes (as the hobbit
user) and let us see what it reports:

   bbcmd hobbitd_channel --channel=status \
   	hobbitd_capture --tests=YOUR-COLUMN-NAME

That will tell us what kind of data arrives from your test script.

Does your server-side script run at all ? Put a line like
    echo "This is my script" >/tmp/itruns
and see if the /tmp/itruns file appears when the status is updated.

Have you checked the Hobbit log-files in ~hobbit/server/logs/ ? The
hobbitlaunch.log file and rrd-status.log file.