[hobbit] Packaging Hobbit 4.2.0

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 19 07:36:07 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:12:27AM -0400, Paul Moore wrote:
> I've been working for several weeks trying to build a precompiled pkg of
> hobbit for solaris and have had varied success.  After a great deal of
> troubleshooting I stumbled across a fundamental flaw as best that I can
> tell.  It appears that several of the binaries (bb, hobbitd,
> hobbit-ghosts.cg to name a few) compiled actually have the local server and
> ip as configured in the Makefile rather than calling the hobbitserver.cfg
> file for that information.
>
> Is this by design?

All of the binaries ship with a built-in default for all of the settings
in hobbitserver.cfg; mostly some sane default, but also a few things
taken from the configuration (i.e. the Makefile) - including the IP-
address of the Hobbit server.

However, these built-in settings are ONLY used if there is no
environment variable overriding them. All of the programs are
normally run via hobbitlaunch which has the task of picking up the
hobbitserver.cfg settings and providing them to the various tools.

The CGI programs all run with the "--env=/path/to/hobbitserver.cfg"
option, and hence pick up the hobbitserver.cfg settings directly.