[hobbit] OpenIPMI and ipmitool

Galen Johnson gjohnson at trantor.org
Wed Oct 18 06:17:51 CEST 2006

Richard Leyton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've some *very* basic scripts which wrap ipmitool to extract
> temperatures and so forth (from Sun boxen). I'm in the process of
> tweaking them, and a few other useful (to me) scripts, for public
> release in case they're of use to others.
>
> But there's no rocket science involved really. It's essentially
> running this (in my case):
>
> <bash snippet>
> /opt/ipmitool/bin/ipmitool -A password -H $ip -g -I lan -U adminuser -
> P $pass sensor | grep TEMP | awk '{print $1,$4,$9}' > $BBTMP/temp.$host
> cpu_temp=`grep CPU $BBTMP/temp.$host | awk '{print $2}'|sed 's/\..*//g'`
> </bash snippet>
>
> And then spitting the data down at Hobbit for graphy goodness.
> However, the format from the above command probably depends on the
> underlying implementation of IPMI. Whilst I'm a long way from being
> an  IPMI expert, I'd be very surprised if the above stuff, which
> works fine for x2100's, worked for <insert beige box of choice>.
>
> fwiw, the main other scripts I'm hoping to make available are a very
> basic hook to process inbound e-mail, and store it up in Hobbit/alert
> if nothing. Like many others I'm sure, one of the chief reasons for
> using a monitoring system is 'to cut back on e-mails telling me
> everything is OK' and the likes, but I never quite really got around
> to seeing the numbers decline. So a bit of .procmail and perl
> hackery, and all my cvs/svn commits, batch processes and so forth,
> pile in in a nice 'backwardly compatible' way :-). The other script
> is a file watcher of sorts, that I use for checking off-host nightly
> tar balls have run through, where the file watching capabilities of
> Hobbit couldn't do what I wanted (yet ;-); and a mysql replication
> monitor.
>
> btw, anybody know what happened to 'The Shire'?
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> On 17 Oct 2006, at 20:55, Rob Munsch wrote:

>> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
>>

> - --
> Richard Leyton - richard at leyton.org
> http://www.leyton.org

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

The Shire is still there...I just sent out a call for scripts last week
in the hopes I would get them up but as the year winds to an end our
sales folks are trying to make their numbers and that tends to make my
life hell...

Right now I'm just going to get the scripts I got, give them a perusal
and figure out the best way to make them available on The Shire.  Now if
only the days had a few more hours...

=G=