[hobbit] Script to configure and show graphs and group of graphs

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Fri Oct 13 16:16:56 CEST 2006

> This sounds cool! I had a discussion with some coworkers
> yesterday, who were asking me how long Hobbit keeps its data.
> I showed them how the rrd files kept data for 576 days. They
> then asked me how we could retain data longer than that. I
> was thinking we could periodically (every
> quarter?) archive the rrd files to another dir or storage,
> and start fresh. They then asked me how we would look at
> those graphs from older archived rrd files, to which I am not sure.
>
> It sounds to me like your tool could be an answer, if it
> could be modified to use an alternate location of rrd files.
> This would allow viewing older data that was no longer
> accessible via the normal Hobbit interface.

I can check what can be done... I've to check if using the standard
hobbitgraph cgi it's possible to make it read the data in another
directory (I think it should be possible) and then It will be also
possible to get data from another source.
For our routers we've archived rrd files generated by rrd of last 15
days, and then we have archived 1 rrd file for the 1st of each month
just to go back and check what was happening in the past and if the
traffic really changed during a normal working day/week.

I'll check if it's possible to do something about.

Francesco