udpInOverflows counter in netstat -s on solaris

Sherman, Larry, GCM Larry.Sherman at rbsgc.com
Wed Oct 11 17:24:24 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,

We are trying to monitor udp drops in our network, and we use the
udpInOverflows counter in netstat -s on Solaris as a way to measure
where the data was dropped.  We have a measure of who is re-requesting
missing data, and we can verify that the data was in fact sent.  We use
the udpInOverflows to determine if the drop occurred on the host or on
the network.  Our supposition is that if a machine is generating
re-transmission requests, but the udpInOverflows counter is 0 && the
data was in fact sent, then the data was dropped on the wire.

I see that the clients side code captures the counter in netstat -s, but
that it is not included in the static data structure for Solaris in
do_netstat.c in the /hobbitd/rrd directory.  Is this easy to add?  I'm
not proficient at C, and not sure of the scope of the work involved.

Thanks much, Larry Sherman

*

if you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized
to retain, read, copy or disseminate this message or any part of
it.