badhttp test problem - alerting on single failure

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Wed Oct 11 09:51:07 CEST 2006

I have a host where I am doing two http tests against. One of the URLs
has shown a tendency to false alarm (go red and then a minute later back
green), twice a night.

In an attempt to reduce these false alarms, I used the "badhttp" tag as so:
---snippet from bb-hosts---
1.2.3.4 URL-Site_Portal # cont;http://mysite.com/public/index.html;Found
http://www.mysite.com/private/index.html badhttp-*-0000-1800:1:2:4
---

The second URL is the one that blips, and adding the badhttp tag has not
helped, it still alerts after a single failure, and history shows no
status changes to clear or yellow.

Here is a cut and paste of the status when it alerted red (The second
check was listed below this one, and was green - also interestingly, the
second check shown on the status page is the first URL from the bb-hosts
line):

      Wed Oct 11 07:05:56 2006: Server timeout ; OK

 http://www.mysite.com/private/index.html - Server timeout

Seconds:    10.31

Is there any way that I can troubleshoot this?  Could it be caused from
doing two http tests against the same site (maybe badhttp only takes
effect for the first one)?

-Charles