Large Log Files

James Wade jkwade at futurefrontiers.com
Wed Nov 29 18:50:09 CET 2006

I'm having problems monitoring a large LOG file and can

use some assistance. I've tried several entries in the client-local.cfg

file, but the results have not been great.

Basically, the developers want to monitor a web server log file which is

in debug mode. The file fills up to 10mb, then rotates to a date/time stamp.

They want to monitor for specific strings. Example: J2CA0056I

The problem is that if Hobbit is checking every 5 minutes, or even every 1
or

2 minutes, the error can feed by to fast for Hobbit to detect.

I tried using the trigger function, (See Below), but it didn't seem to work.

We entered the string into the file manually, and Hobbit gave no errors.

One question I have is the MAX size variable. How does this relate to the
file size?

As you can see below, I increased the MAX size variable.

I've put my client-local.cfg entry below.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[server10]

log:/var/adm/messages:10240

log:/logs/server10/SystemOut.log:40960

trigger J2CA0056I

log:/logs/server10/SystemErr.log:40960

log:`ls /logs/server10/SystemErr_*`:40960

log:`ls /logs/server10/SystemOut_*`:40960

The last two entries, I'm trying to monitor the rollup files as well in case
the log rolls

over before Hobbit has a chance to see the error. However, this didn't seem
to work to effectively

either.

Thanks.....James