resolver failures

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Wed Nov 29 13:40:58 CET 2006

I am seeing intermittent resolver failures
in /var/log/hobbit/bb-network.log.

This box also runs MRTG, which chews up a lot of resources with as many
points as I monitor.  The failures appear to occur one minute and 3-10
seconds into the MRTG polling cycle, during which time the box is CPU
bound for about 30 seconds (decrypting several thousand SNMP V3 PDU's)

Is there a way to extend the ares resolver timeout?  Or is there some
local resolver caching I could set up to help mitigate this problem?

At any other point in the MRTG polling cycle the resolver seems to work
fine.  The other pieces cause the system to be network bound during the
initial poll (about 25 seconds), and disk bound (40 seconds) whilst
re-writing the ~6000 RRD files.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
Austin Energy