[hobbit] AIX memory check

Frédéric Mangeant frederic.mangeant at steria.com
Tue Nov 28 16:47:22 CET 2006

Le 28/11/2006 15:39, Morsiani, Massimo a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> we have Hobbit 4.2.0 up and running (very well!) and we have BBWin
> client installed on our Windows servers.
> We started to install hobbit client on our AIX server (AIX 5.2) using
> this pre-built package
> _http://rpm.razorsedge.org/aix-5.2/RE/ppc/hobbit-client-4.2.0-4.aix5.2.re.ppc.rpm_
> and it works fine.
>
> But I noticed different memory reporting between AIX topas command and
> Hobbit web page, as follows
>
> === Topas output ===
>
> Real,MB    8191
> % Comp     49.3
> % Noncomp  51.6
> % Client   51.8
>
> PAGING SPACE
> Size,MB    7680
> % Used     20.5
> % Free     79.4
>

> === Hobbit web output ===
>
> Memory          Used            Total   Percentage
> green Physical  8189M           8192M           99%
> green Swap              1612M           7680M           20%
>

> While Total memory (8192MB) and Swap (7680MB, 20%) values are correct,
> reported Physical memory value is incorrect.
> Right value is % Comp 49.3 NOT 99%.
>
> Is there anything I can change to have the right value?

Hi

AFAIK, AIX uses (by default) a lot of memory for file caching, so you
end up using ~100% of your physical memory.

Try running this :

# /usr/samples/kernel/vmo -a | grep perm%
        maxperm% = 40
        minperm% = 20

This means that 40% of your memory can (and often, is) be used for file
caching.

vmo is available under AIX 5.2/5.3, you can use vmtune under AIX 5.1

--

Frédéric Mangeant

Steria GDU Sophia Antipolis