[hobbit] bbproxy configuration and setup

Iain Conochie iain at shihad.org
Mon Nov 27 11:14:19 CET 2006

Hiya Pat,

<snip>

	These are the steps I took to get bbproxy working for me.

> Specifically:
>

> 1)                  Do I install a full server version of hobbit on
> one machine at my office that I’m going to designate as my bbproxy?
> How should I go about compiling that instance?

OK. in the hobbit source directory just ./configure.server; amke; make
install

> 2)                  After I’ve gotten the bbproxy machine compiled,
> what do I actually run?

You need to edit the hobbitlaunch.cfg file in the
<INSTALLPATH>/server/etc directory and disable everything apart from

[clientdata]
[bbproxy]
[bbcombotest]
[bbnet]
[bbretest]
[hobbitclient]

This is of course assuming that you want to monitor the bbproxy server
itself.

> 3)                  I can install client versions of hobbit on the
> various machines, but what IP address to I set for the ‘server’?  Is
> it my home master hobbit server, or the proxy?  (I’m sure it’s the
> proxy, but how does the proxy know who to forward things to?)

Yes it is the proxy. The proxy accepts messages from clients, bundles
them into combo messages and then forwards them onto the server. This is
my understanding of how this works anyway. I am sure that some of the
maintainers on the list can give a better description :) I am Just A
Humble Sys Admin

> 4)                  On my home machine, how do I configure bb-hosts to
> list the separate remote clients?

You can use the NET tag on the main hobbit display server, so that it
will not test the remote clients.

Cheers

Iain