[hobbit] HTTP Test Timeout & Delays -- More Info

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Nov 17 16:00:49 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 08:34:07AM -0600, James Wade wrote:
> I found a work-around to my problem.
>
> I was monitoring some pages where the security certificate
> was internally generated. If I went to those pages manually,
> via a browser window, it would give me a security alert
> pop-up window saying the security certificate name is invalid
> and doesn't match the site. (Which it doesn't because they
> are just using a self-generated one in development for testing)
>
> Anyways, I had about 10 boxes that had this problem, and all
> 10 were getting timeouts at 10 seconds. This resulted in all
> the other http tests starting to get random timeouts as well.
> Almost as though all the other http tests were waiting on these
> 10 machines.
>
> After I removed the 10 machines from bb-hosts, everything started
> working just fine, and my graphs went down to 0.XX seconds.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get past this delay caused by the
> security alert? What about the reason that a delay in a few boxes
> causes all http tests to delay on all other machines?

This is very odd. What SSL library are you using for the network
tests ? Just run "bbtest-net --version" and you should get:

  bbtest-net version 4.2.0
  SSL library : OpenSSL 0.9.8a 11 Oct 2005
  LDAP library: OpenLDAP 20130

It sounds as if the SSL library is attempting to verify the
authenticity of the SSL certificate from your server. But I've never
heard of it doing this by default. So I'd like to know which version
of OpenSSL you are using, so I can see if there's a configuration
setting that Hobbit can tweak to disable this.