[hobbit] AIX 4.3.3 going purple on netstat test after 3-5 day s

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Nov 7 23:12:59 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:48:53AM -0600, Jeff Newman wrote:
> >> I sent an earlier message about both 4.2.0 and 4.2.0 with the latest
> >> patches going totally purple after 3-5 days. The process hobbit gets
> >> hung up on is netstat -an | grep ^tcp
> The ~client/tmp/msg.<hostname>.txt file doesn't get updated.

Well, if the client gets "stuck" while collecting the data it sends to
Hobbit, then as far as Hobbit is concerned there are no data for this
host - which is what the "purple" status is really telling you.

So the question is: Why does "netstat -an" stall like that? I'm not in
any way an AIX expert, but it sounds like a buggy "netstat" to me ...