Multi-host process graphs

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Mon Nov 6 23:13:22 CET 2006

Has anyone had any luck in creating multi-hosts process graphs? Here are
the steps I have done so far in trying to get it to work. If anyone sees
what I am doing wrong, any advice would be appreciated.

1. Created a multi definition in hobbitgraphs.cfg
[processes-multi]
        FNPATTERN processes.(.+).rrd
        TITLE Multi-host Process counts
        YAXIS #
        DEF:cnt at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:count:AVERAGE
        -l 0 -A
        LINE2:cnt at RRDIDX@#@COLOR@:@RRDPARAM@
        GPRINT:cnt at RRDIDX@:LAST: \: %10.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:cnt at RRDIDX@:MAX: \: %10.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:cnt at RRDIDX@:MIN: \: %10.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:cnt at RRDIDX@:AVERAGE: \: %10.1lf (avg)\n

2. Edited hobbit/server/web/hostgraphs_form and added the extra option
for process counts:
<option value="processes">Process counts</option>

3. Made sure that the process rrds are there (I know they are anyway
because I see the graphs in trends):
$ ls data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.*
data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.Apache_portal.rrd
data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.Apache_tomcat.rrd
data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.Apache_research.rrd
data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.Apache_main.rrd
data/rrd/prod-web-1/processes.Apache_proxy.rrd

Now when I go to the Metrics Report, and select prod-web-2 and
prod-web2, along with Process counts. I get a missing graph, so
something isn't working right.  The same hosts work fine with other
multi-host graphs like la1, cpu, etc.

any ideas?
-Charles