[hobbit] fping tuning

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 1 16:37:04 CEST 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 10:03:30AM -0400, Schwimmer, Eric E *HS wrote:

> > I've had a look at the fping sources.
> >
> > There aren't any really obvious reasons why it should take so long.
> > If you run it with "time", it also claims that the user- and
> > system-time are really low (I tried with ~1500 hosts), but the
> > wall-clock time is like 90 seconds (default options). Which kind of
> > points at the code not really doing parallel pings.
> >
> > I think I'll try some modifications to it over the week-end. If any of
> > it seems to improve it, I'll let you know.
>
> I gave the source a quick peruse before sending my initial email, and
> my gut was telling me likewise.  Thanks for looking in to it :)

Just an update on this:

As some have noticed - because it didn't compile - I have cooked up a
"hobbitping" utility to replace fping. On my system, fping took about
90 seconds to do a full sweep of the hosts. hobbitping takes 17 seconds,
of which 15 are a static 3x5 seconds delay while the non-responding hosts
timeout.

Eric was so kind as to confirm that it works on his system as well.

So it's goodbye fping - hello hobbitping.