[hobbit] Help modifying bb-services

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 22 19:48:01 CET 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:00:46PM -0500, Robert Bethke wrote:
> I'm currently working on a project that I need to get hobbit to test
> authentication on a number of servers namely an IMAP and SMTP server, along
> with a few others. I was guessing having little background in network
> diagnostic that I could modify the sent responses within bb-services to login
> to the server using a test account and then check for the proper response
> back. The problem I've run into is that I'm not clear on the proper commands
> or syntax to do this and when I have modified the tests it seems that I'll
> get a green event regardless to what I put within expect. Anyway if anyone
> could point me in the right direction (Examples are great too) it would be
> greatly appreciated.

The way that the Hobbit network tester works isn't really designed to do
what you want. Performing a full login to an IMAP server requires
several exchanges between the server and the client (in this case, the
Hobbit tester). The Hobbit tester doesn't do that; it connects, kicks
off the "send" string, waits for single response, then disconnects.
The response is then matched against the "expect" string.

Your best bet is probably to hunt down a tool that knows how to talk to
these servers, then run this through a custom extension script. Or write
your own, e.g. using the original "expect" tool.