Conn red and green every few minutes

Bill Perez billieperez at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 00:18:39 CET 2006

Hi,

I have been running Hobbit 4.2.1 on Fedora Core 4 for several months now.
Today, in the middle of a normal day when there was supposedly nothing going
on that would have caused this, about 30 servers started reporting red
connectivity, then a few minutes later would switch back to green, then back
to red again - causing very many alerts to go out.  There doesn't seem to be
anything similar about the servers that this was happening to, it was just
random.  I was able to ping these servers from the hobbit server, so it
didn't seem like there was really a connectivity issue for hobbit getting to
them.  I restarted the hobbit service, rebooted the server, checked the logs
(nothing was logged the time it started happening).  I then moved all the
logs to a different directory and restarted the service.  After about 1/2 hr
things went back to normal.  Does anyone know what might cause this strange
behavior and anything to do to prevent it from happening in the future.

Thanks in advance,
Billie