[hobbit] CUSTOM RRD DATA VIA SCRIPTS

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Thu Mar 16 15:18:33 CET 2006

Subhash,

I think you are on the right track.  But since your script needs to
recognize each line and process it independently, you need to send the
grep output through some sort of a loop, and then unpack each line.  I
am not exactly a shell wizard, but at least two approaches come to mind:

A) send the output of the grep to a temporary file, then process the
temporary file line by line.

B) process the output of the grep line by line in a loop (skipping the
temporary file).

There is nothing that says that you have to process the output in shell
-- you could also use Perl.  Just keep in mind that you can only have
one processor on your server and it has to be able to deal with
everyone's needs.

Or, as Henrik suggests, you can dig out a C book and write a new module
to recognize all of this.  I would take a swing a Perl before I would do
that, since my C skills are nil.

Anyone care to donate a few lines of Bourne that would help Subhash over
the hump?

GLH