network testing tool for single host/service

Dominique Frise Dominique.Frise at unil.ch
Mon Mar 13 09:11:45 CET 2006

Hi Henrik,

Using Big Brother for several years, we wrote quite a few custom server/side
scripts where we used bbnet tool from BB.
This utility allowed us to test a single host/service pair on the command line.

Example:

URL=http://test.example.com

$BBHOME/bin/bbnet $URL > $BBTMP/HTTP_$PROC$$

Your -definitely better- tool bbtest-net is bounded to $BBHOSTS and it does not
seem possible to test a single host/service like above.
A hack could be to redefine $BBHOSTS with a single entry before calling bbtest-net.
I there another possibility to to this?

Thanks for your reply.

Dominique