[hobbit] Collecting RRD from custom script, but no graph

Dan Vande More bigdan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 17:52:29 CET 2006

Usually the magnifying glass link with no graph is a sign that the RRD
was unable to generate. This is normally because of a configuration
issue, and I seem to get them when my hobbitgraph.cfg section is
wrong.

I get the impression that your DEF line is incorrect in your
hobbitgraph.cfg file.

by using DEF:tr=trackoswex.rrd:tracks:AVERAGE, you are telling the
grapher to use the trackoswex.rrd file and "tracks" as the name of
your datasource. Is your datasource's name really "tracks"?

To find the name of your real datasource from a simple rrd file, do this:

rrdtool dump /path/to/your.rdd | less

Then search for the <ds> tag. (Should be right near the top.) For
instance, one of mine says:

        <ds>
                <name> procATemp </name>
                <type> GAUGE </type>
                <minimal_heartbeat> 600 </minimal_heartbeat>
                <min> 0.0000000000e+00 </min>
                <max> NaN </max>

                <!-- PDP Status -->
                <last_ds> UNKN </last_ds>
                <value> 6.4550000000e+03 </value>
                <unknown_sec> 0 </unknown_sec>
        </ds>

So my datasource's name is procATemp. Note that this only works for a
simple .rrd file. Some rrds contain several data sources, so don't let
this mislead you.

HTH,

Dan