[hobbit] Hobbit client 4.2 running in local mode - FILE, LOG and DIR tests

Frédéric Mangeant frederic.mangeant at steria.com
Tue Jun 27 16:16:39 CEST 2006

Henrik Stoerner a écrit :
> The local-mode client is not very well documented.
> Your FILE, DIR and LOG checks fail because the client-side utilities
> don't know what to check. Normally they would receive this information
> from the Hobbit server and store it locally in the $BBTMP/logfetch.$MACHINEDOTS.cfg
> directory. But since you're running in local mode that does not happen,
> and the end result is that you have none of these checks active.
>
> So what you need to do basically is to put the "dir:..." etc lines
> into the file ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.`uname -n`.cfg

Thanks, it works.

Now I have another question :-)

My main idea is to deploy the Hobbit client (in local mode) by providing
tar files for every Unix flavor, with the less configuration possible on
the Hobbit server.
Would it be possible to either :
- handle the content of the ~client/etc/localclient.cfg file, including
DIR, FILE and LOG when running in local mode, or
- handle ~client/tmp/logfetch.localhost.cfg instead of
~client/tmp/logfetch.`uname -n`.cfg ?

> I'm trying to make the local-mode client so difficult to configure
> that you'll just give up and use the server-side config :-))

I'd like to use it, but people here have been using Big Brother clients
(ie. locally confugured) for years...

> It shouldn't, unless you have configured a "clientversion:..."
> setting in the client-local.cfg file (in your case: the
> ~hobbit/client/tmp/logfetch.HOSTNAME.cfg file). But if you
> don't want to fetch the client configuration from the server, I
> really wonder why you'd want to fetch the whole client package
> remotely ... ?

I was just trying this feature...

Frédéric Mangeant

Steria EDC Sophia-Antipolis