[hobbit] Hobbit tracking of data from ORCA

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 13:44:50 CEST 2006

On 6/20/06, Henrik Stoerner <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:

> Our Solaris group here is using ORCA to collect various performance
> metrics about their servers.
>
> However, the ORCA data collection is somewhat fickle, and it is
> annoying to have two systems tracking data. So the question was:
> Can Hobbit be used to collect these data instead ?
>
> I've had a look at ORCA, and it does seem like it would be possible
> to just use the ORCA data collector (orcallator.se) and feed those
> data into Hobbit. A special back-end module could then process these
> into RRD files, and graph them with hobbitgraph. This would be rather
> trivial to do - most of the work would be to setup the hobbitgraph
> definitions to match those graphs currently available in ORCA.
>
> But before I do that - how many people are actually using ORCA?

I would love to see ORCA get integrated with hobbit since we are mostly a
Solaris shop. I was as a matter of fact  going thru the ORCA setup  written
by Amy Rich on bigadmin site for Solaris. Here is the url:

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/orca.html

Their website appears to be on-line, but no updates have appeared

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu