[hobbit] Modem monitoring

Smith, Jim JMSmith at stvincenthealth.com
Tue Jun 13 14:32:08 CEST 2006

Thanks, Ralph.  I'll keep this in mind.

________________________________

From: Ralph Mitchell [mailto:ralphmitchell at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:56 PM
To: hobbit at hswn.dk
Subject: Re: [hobbit] Modem monitoring

Have you considered "expect"??  It's an extension to Tcl that can spawn
a program, such as telnet, and then send commands to it.  I have a
script that telnets to a given server, answers TACACS prompt if
necessary, and logs in, then su's to root - if the password is provided.

You should be able to spawn a telnet command to a specific IP + port
number, just as you would on the command line.  Send the AT command,
wait for the response.  If it times out, do one thing, if the response
occurs, do another thing.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I haven't yet got into running much stuff via Hobbit, but I've had a lot
of success over the last 5 years firing off Big Brother scripts from
cron.

Ralph Mitchell