[hobbit] logfile monitoring with client side configuration?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jun 6 18:06:25 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 05:52:39PM +0200, Dirk Kastens wrote:
> On the server I specified three logfiles to monitor in the client-local.cfg:
>
> [my.client.hostname]
> log:/var/log/messages:10240
> log:/var/log/dsmsched.log:10240
> log:/var/log/dsmerror.log:10240
>
> But nothing happens. The logfiles are not touched and there's no
> logfetch.cfg file in the client's tmp directory.
> When I configure the client with server side configuration it works.
>
> Can I use logfile monitoring with client side configuration?

You can, but it requires a different configuration. And that isn't
described anywhere, sorry.

1) The stuff you put into client-local.cfg on the Hobbit server is
   never transferred to the client when you're running with client-
   side configuration. So you need to take that, and put it into
   $BBHOME/tmp/logfetch.HOSTNAME.cfg (which is a stupid location,
   when you're running in client-side config mode - I'll change
   that to go into $BBHOME/etc/logfetch.cfg)

2) You need to setup the equivalent of the hobbit-clients.cfg
   file on the client, in $BBHOME/etc/localclient.cfg

With those two things in place, all of the client features should
work.