[hobbit] Hobbit Ping

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Jun 2 16:51:26 CEST 2006

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

> Could you grab the latest snapshot, and in your hobbitserver.cfg set
>
>    FPING="$BBHOME/bin/hobbitping --responses=3"
>
> This will make hobbitping report the average round-trip time for 3
> pings, like fping does. I would be interested to know if that helps,
> and if it has any other consequences (like hosts being reported as
> "down" when they are really up).

I've been fighting a problem with false conn failures in 4.1.2p1 and I
thought I'd try hobbitping to see if it helps.  I'm not completely sure
that I actually switched from fping to hobbitping, though, because I'm
still seeing fping-std*  files in server/tmp (as a result of "CMD
bbtest-net --report --ping --checkresponse --debug" in
hobbitlaunch.cfg.).  Is fping in the filenames coming from the fping
program itself, or are the files named that way b/c hobbit still calls
hobbitping 'fping' because of the variable setting in hobbitserver.cfg?

I built hobbitping from today's snapshot, into my server/bin/ directory,
and make it suid root (4755, with root:bb ownership).  Is there anything
else I need to modify?

Thanks,
Tom