Important ! HP-UX and the memory utilisation

thomas.seglard.enata at cnp.fr thomas.seglard.enata at cnp.fr
Tue Jul 25 14:34:20 CEST 2006

Hello,

I got some troubles with HPUX and memory values. With Hobbit, in my memory
test, I got this :

Memory              Used       Total  Percentage
Physical          16156M      16372M         98%
Swap              22117M      40372M         54%

Everything seems normal but for me, these numbers are high 'cause this
server does nothing during the day. So, I connected to the server and ran
this command to see the available memory :

psd216:~# swapinfo -atm
             Mb      Mb      Mb   PCT  START/      Mb
TYPE      AVAIL    USED    FREE  USED   LIMIT RESERVE  PRI  NAME
dev       24000    5474   18526   23%       0       -    1 /dev/vg00/lvol2
reserve       -   11550  -11550
memory    16372    4754   11618   29%
total     40372   21778   18594   54%       -       0    -

This output clearly shows an error in the Hobbit display. If you look, my
total swap memory is equal to 24000M not 40372M as shown in Hobbit and
only 23% is used !! Apparently, the values for the swap memory test are
taken from the last line and that's not correct !
Then I tried to execute the binary called "hpux-meminfo" in the client
"bin" directory and I get this :

$ ./hpux-meminfo
Total:16372
Free:164

Once again, it's not true as the system reports 11618M of free physical
memory.

So, Am I totally wrong or is it a real problem ?
Is it a way to use this command instead of "hpux-meminfo" ?

For your information, I'm running Hobbit 4.1.2p1 and the command
"swapinfo" is available for all versions of HPUX.

Thanks for your help !
Sincerly,

Thomas

Ce message (et toutes ses pieces jointes eventuelles) est confidentiel et etabli a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
Toute utilisation de ce message non conforme a sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est
interdite, sauf autorisation expresse.
L'internet ne permettant pas d'assurer l'integrite de ce message, CNP Assurances et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message, s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.

*****

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither CNP Assurances nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.